Tuesday, March 06, 2007

In the local news today...


I'm sure folks in the Klang Valley would have had a "moving" experience today. Why? Because an earthquake struck near Indonesia at approximately 12pm, causing tremors and swaying buildings in Malaysia and neighboring Singapore. And there was a stronger aftershock too, around 2pm. In my office you could feel the whole room and the chair / table sway like a moving ship and the rooftop plants outside my office window were shaking. Some office buildings were evacuated; mine was not. I didn't feel the first initial earthquake, but I felt the second, stronger aftershock. It was quite long too, about 30 seconds. I'm thankful Malaysia is nowhere closer to the epicenter of the "Ring of Fire". I think we'd be poorly equipped to handle such a situation.

In other Malaysian news, I was horrified to read this. Apparently, eight milky storks were released into the wild without proper preparation and acclimatization just for the sake of of marking the World Wetlands Day. The birds are tame and accustomed to humans and are not trained to fend for themselves in the wild. Whichever idiotic official who was in charge of the event (or even suggested it) should be taken across the border to Thailand and "released" there without any food, money, etc so that they will experience and know what the storks are going through.

8 spins:

L B said...

Chup!!

I only got news about the earth tremor via TWITTER!! Glad everything's alright back home. Nothing too major.

Yes, that silly official person who made that decision should be fed to the monkeys!! How idiotic!

Wennn said...

Here also got Chup chup....

Aiks I tot it was me stomping my foot but not me ah.. really earthquake ah.. Aiyo..... thank god nothin happens lor.....

Tat silly opiser take him for monkeys wasted la must fed crocodiles... hehehehehe

rinnah said...

l b: Wah... you truly are the King of Chups! So fast one!

Yup, all A-OK, no harm done from your snoring. *wink*

wennnn: Hi! Welcome to my blog! Uhm... here is still unofficial chups for now. Ahehehehehe... maybe if lb has an extra H U G H U G C L U B logo that looks like my website color scheme? When is your resort opening? I wanna chup there too...

KL / S'pore is OK, but poor Indonesia... time after time kena with natural disasters.

Yaya... agreed crocodiles is better. Or maybe piranha? *looks thoughtful*

Chen said...

i get to know about the earthquake news from twitter too :) Didn't feel the quake at my workplace.

itu orang.. really dunno wat to say..
How should I describe him?

rainbow angeles said...

In the next tremor, I'm gonna remember to blog about it the minute I feel it.. on top of Twittering about it lah of course..

*kiasu*
Haha..

*pats the storks*
:(

may said...

no tremors here, I couldn't even hear my uncle snoring. writing during taxi rides made me giddy though, lol!

*feeds the stork some... errr... what do storks eat again?*

rinnah said...

chen: Twitter is faster than the Internet news services! LOL!

How about: itu bukan orang? Teeheehee!

simple american: *looks stricken* I hope a similar thing doesn't happen to the storks!

True. I don't even know what to do when the building starts swaying! (Except Twitter about it. LOL!)

angel: I SMS'd first, then I Twittered, then I checked online news sites, then I emailed my friends, finally I blogged about it! *wink* I more kiasu leh... Hahaha!

may: Looks like my blog title really happened to me! The world was spinning round and round for a while...

Hmmm... good question. I don't know what storks eat! LOL!

rinnah said...

simple american: 0.0 at the thought of the storks and babies...